"Your home away from home for Beer, Books, Bread, and Circuses."
since 1188

Monday, February 8, 2010

Moveon, there's nothing happening here, just Moveon

Today I found in my overflowing inbox another email from Moveon.org. I guess I've been on their mailing list for a long time now.

Moveon began with simple goals. Stop talking about your neighbor's sex life. Stop the war in Iraq, get Bush out of office, etc. In general it's a fine organization meant to appeal to the best in us. Stop unnecessary killing and all torture. Things like that.

Moveon helped organize tens of thousands, at least, of young people to get the Democrats in control of the government.

But today's missive was something else again.

Today I was informed that Moveon was now involved with regulating Wall Street. Perhaps they have been doing this for some time. Maybe I previously had just failed to notice. Today I was told that I should send money to Moveon so they could deal with all the criminals involved in the AIG shell game.

Wow! Somebody has discovered there are a bunch of thieves involved in the financial markets!

Now I certainly applaud anyone who has figured out how to deal with the infinite machinations included within our present financial system. And after I introduce you to them, I have a small bridge I can sell to you in Breukelyn. Moveon has just joined the most disreputable of all social beings, the economic pundits. To say this is a comedown is putting it mildly.

Listen! All of you liberal rabble rousers out there, stick with what you know. I seriously do not want Amnesty International telling me how to clean up the environment. I don’t want Greenpeace asking me for money to campaign for more libraries. Stick with what you are Moveon.org. Do not pretend to be the financial police. And most certainly don’t ask me for money to do something you really shouldn’t be doing. Isn’t that what got AIG into trouble in the first place?
-

No comments:

Post a Comment